Sunday, May 31, 2009

Learn Traditional Languages in Indonesia

I've always been interested in languages.
Any kinds of languages !!

And I find it totatlly difficult to find a simple pocket phrase book of the Languages in Indonesia.
For example,
I was born and raised in Jakarta and I love travelling.
So I wouldn't mind learning a little bit of Sundanese,
and when I go to Bandung and ask the guy who sells surabi " Sabaraha atuh mang ? ",
I'd actually understands his reply.

Or when I go to Jogja and can actually bargain with the Lady who sells Batik at Beringharjo market.
My only Javanese teacher is my housekeeper at home, she's the one teaching me
"siji loro telu papat....." (one two three four.....)
"wis mangan durung ? " ( have you eaten yet ? )

or When I go to Bali....... I wanna be able to say more than "Tiang mau beli Patung, ikut ikut ikut ;p"
(Tiang = I/me)

So... when I was in a Japanese bookstore in one of the malls in Jakarta.
I was so excited to see this book on the shelf.


Practical Balinese , a communication guide, by Periplus
on the back, it says US$3.95, but I paid around Rp. 50.000 because of the currency rate.
kinda pricey for such a tiny book.
and this book is actually targeted to English speaking consumers.
It has pronounciations and spellings and grammar infos in English language.
It's like one of those pocket phrase book, so handy, but I couldn't find one that's designated for
Indonesians.
I want one in Indonesian !!!!
Yes, There are lots of self-help books available for Indonesians, but they're Foreign languages, English language for Indonesians, French language for Indonesians, German language for Indonesians etc etc.
Where do we go to find self help books on Javanese language ? Sundanese language ?
Honesly, it's kinda embarassing that a foreigner / bule is able to speak Javanese fluently and I can't.
In Jogja, there's a Javanese language course, but the course fee is in dollars huhuhuh :( and students who go there are usually foreigners.
I think we all should learn a little bit of different languages in Indonesia.
How about Padang language ? It's so fun to say it out loud with the Padang accent even.

Maybe the reason why these phrase books aren't readily available for Indonesians is because there are not a lot of demands ?
Hey, I'd want one, I'd buy Sundanese, Javanese, Padang Language (Padangese?), Bataknese, Banjarnese, Palembangese, etc etc.

What about you guys ?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails