Sunday, May 31, 2009

Train and Metro

So, you know about
MRT in Singapore, (Mass Rapid Transit)
MTR in Hongkong, (Mass Transit Railway)
Subway in New York,
The Tube in London,
La Metropolitana in Milan (La Metro)
Le Metropolitain in Paris (Le Metro)
They're basically Trains, right ?
well, they're translated as trains (kereta) in Indonesian anyway....

So.......
When I was in Milan, Italy, I took the Metro to go to a friend's apartment.
and when I wanted to go home, my friend offered to walk me to the station.
But I confidently refused , thinking that I knew the way back to the station.
Wrong !!!
I got ,well, kinda lost...

So I asked someone on the street....
"Mi scusi, Sa Dov'e il treno ?"
"Excuse me, Do you know where the train is ?"
it's more kinda like "where the train station is."
treno = train

So... the guy said, "Non c'e il treno qua"
"There's no train here"
and he just left.
I was thinking, How Rude !!!

and then there was an old lady, so I thought I'd ask her.
"Mi scusi Signora, Sa Dov'e il treno ?"
"Excuse me Mam, Do you know where the train is ?"

"Non c'e il treno qua"
"There's no train here"

"Ma sono venuta col treno"
"But I came here by train"

"Signorina, non c'e il treno qua, ma c'e la metropolitana"
"Miss, there's no train here, but there's the metro"

And it just hit me........
D'oh......
I came by train, yes, but it's "la metro", not "il treno"
So she kindly gave me the direction to the metro station....

The Train / Il treno is used as a transport to go out of town,
while La metro is used as a transport inside the city.
There you go, they're both "trains" if translated to Indonesian,
but they're so different in terms of usage ;p
So pay attention ;)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails